REGIONAL FRAUD SPECIALIST & INTERNAL CONTROL, COMPLIANCE LEAD
Permanent - Full-Time
Closing date: Sunday 17 June 2018
All jobs close at midnight UK time on the date specified
Accountable for coordinating fraud management activities and initiatives and assessing and monitoring internal controls across the Region ;
- to develop a culture of fraud awareness, reporting and response within the organisation aligned with SCIs zero tolerance policy
- deliver an effective strategy of fraud prevention, detection, investigation and recovery across the organisation as a whole, within the centre and across the SCI landscape in the Latin America and Caribbean region
- to undertake / or coordinate investigations of all serious incidents of fraud, bribery or corruption, which will include providing support to and building the capability of Fraud Focal Point staff in the Region.
- to act as functional manager to Fraud Focal Points in the Región.
Works closely with country and regional teams on:
- compliance with SCI policies and procedures and legislation
- strengthening internal controls
- ensure that high quality, effective systems are in place to monitor and respond to internal risks,
- the individual will work closely with the Regional and Country leadership teams to ensure the continued development and embedding of an efficient and effective counter fraud framework and culture in the region, specifically
- support during internal and external audits
- ensure follow up on recommendation of internal and external audits
INTERNAL CONTROL & COMPLIANCE
- ongoing reviews and spot checks of compliance with policies and procedures, company controls and compliance measures to determine any potential hazards or breaches of conduct.,
- reporting back to management on compliance issues with recommendations for improvement and strengthening of internal controls
- support RFD and CMT's in the in the elaboration and implementation of internal control upgrade plan and other strategies to strengthen compliance and internal control
- liaise with community of practice of Internal Controllers in Region (Guatemala, Haiti, Colombia)
The role may will require significant international travel including to challenging locations often with cultural sensitivities.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal job description and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: The role holder will report to the Head of Fraud Management, but building strong relationships with the Regional Director and Regional Finance Director as well as country leadership teams in LAC.
Dimensions: stakeholders include Members together with country, regional and central staff and senior leadership teams. Close working will be required with Finance, Legal, International Programme Operations and Global Assurance teams.
Although based in the SCI Regional Office, like the other the Regional Fraud specialists in SCI, the post holder may be expected to provide cross support to other team members and be expected to travel to other regions.
Staff directly reporting to this post: NONE
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Support/enable the embedding of an effective fraud management culture within the organisation
· working with the Head of Fraud to deliver training around fraud awareness and investigations to enable decision makers and key front line staff to understand their accountabilities and responsibilities with respect to fraud prevention, detection and reporting.
· support all areas of the organisation in managing fraud-related issues
· support the Head of Fraud Management to embed fraud awareness and a culture of zero tolerance
· provide support and advice to non-specialist employees such as members of the 'fraud faculty' and management teams in country
· represent SCI at external professional knowledge groups
Management and support of fraud investigations
· investigate fraud, bribery or corruption cases in the country of origin, reporting on the findings and outcomes to SCI management and to Members as per SCI Fraud Management procedures and protocols.
· , in high risk cases and serious incidents, act as lead investigator or create and supervise an investigative team on specific fraud investigations where required
· functionally support, monitor and advise on more routine fraud investigations being undertaken by Fraud Focal Points.
· provide advice and support to country offices where appropriate on investigations
· liaise with Members on specific cases ensuring they are kept informed of case progression as necessary
· ensure that standard SCI fraud investigation related templates are used and share best practice guidance as appropriate
· key point of contact and support in the Region for the case management system (Datix) as the single source to capture investigations progress and all reports to Members and SCI management.
· develop a practical lessons learned analysis from each investigation to further reduce the control failures that allowed frauds to be happen.
Internal Risk and Quality Assurance:
· play a key influencing role in building the control environment and broadening the understanding of risk, controls, oversight and accountability in the organisation
· act as an independent and objective assessor of compliance and quality in the LAC Region
· deliver an annual programme of audit and review work to high quality and a consistent methodology. Deliver high quality, solutions-focussed, value-adding reports that are solutions-driven.
· perform internal control assessments and spot checks in country on compliance with Country Finance manual , Procurement Policies and Procedures, Mexico City Compliance and other policies and procedures as requested by management
· ensure country teams are aware of critical internal policies and support them in developing plans and measures to mitigate risks
· work closely with Regional Finance Director to ensure effective external and internal audit processes
· provide assurance on whether controls around the procurement process and advise management on strengthening of process.
Other specific projects
- project manage specific projects as detailed by the Head of Fraud Management and/or Regional Finance Director e.g. strategic donor reviews regarding fraud reporting requirements
- participate in cross-functional projects as required
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Ensures that all cases are managed and reported on in line with the set key performance indicators on investigations, and that all cases are investigated and closed within an acceptable timeframe.
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Has relevant experience (audit/risk/investigatory) applicable to the role
- Relevant Professional qualifications ( which include CPA/CA/ACCA/CIA/CFE)
- Demonstrable understanding of the importance of counter fraud activities and mechanisms for reducing fraud
- Knowledge of regional law and regulatory environments
- An unquestionably high level of integrity and ethics
- Strong relationship builder with a proven track record in forming good business partnerships and utilising collaborative approaches
- Able to offer practical solutions to management to help resolve incidents including in crisis situations
- Good oral and written communication skills including report writing
- Strong analytical, problem solving skills.
- Good English language required. Fluent in Spanish. Knowledge of French would also be useful.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Available to travel frequently to all country locations.
· Awareness of global standards and legislation around fraud and corruption
· Excellent investigative ability ,aware of current best practices in investigation techniques
· Formal investigation qualification
· Understanding of the role and approaches of the international development sector
· Experience of crime/loss prevention
· Previous experience of delivering training sessions / workshops
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply online using a cover letter and up-to-date CV in two separate documents. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.