EDUCATION SECTOR CO-LEAD
Location: Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh
Contract - Full-Time
Closing date: Friday 29 June 2018
All jobs close at midnight UK time on the date specified
The Education Sector Co-Lead will ensure a coherent and effective response to education needs being addressed by agencies engaging in Education interventions, as required by the activation of the Inter sector coordination group. She/he will lead this initiative by working closely with the education stakeholders (children, families, communities, authorities, education institutions and INGOs and UN agencies) to provide an effective, timely and strategic collective response to the current situation at Cox’s Bazar.
The Education Sector Co-Lead will work impartially, serving the needs of all members of the education sector and should work closely with UN OCHA, Inter-Sector Coordination Group (ISCG) from our co-lead (UNICEF). The Education Sector is accountable to the ISCG through the lead agencies (Save the Children and UNICEF).
Qualifications and experience
- Prior experience of working within cluster coordination
- Previous first phase emergency response experience is essential
- Education to MSc/MA/ level in Education (or a related field) or equivalent field experience
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to facilitate diverse groups.
- Excellent negotiation and conflict-resolution skills
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact, and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- Demonstrable ability to work and represent views across different stakeholders taking part in the Education Cluster.
- Experience of high-level coordination and chairing of meetings.
- Demonstrable understanding of international humanitarian response and co-ordination mechanisms.
- Understanding of opportunities to provide integrated or cross-cutting humanitarian interventions with other sectors and Clusters
- Understanding of opportunities to support the World Humanitarian Summit Agenda such as localization and development-humanitarian nexus
- Understanding of the Education Can Not Wait Multi-Year Fund Process and other funding mechanisms
- Experience of applying INEE Minimum Standards and other relevant frameworks and standards in education in emergencies)
- Experience in assessing Education Sector partners’ capacities to inform the development and roll out of capacity building plan to improve quality of the
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy
Experience or knowledge of working and living in South Asia
Contract length: Fixed term for 6 months with possibilities for extension
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard. We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Due to the urgency of the position, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the post may be filled before the deadline
Find out more about this role by downloading the job description here Job description