Contractual Arrangement: Temporary appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Contract duration: Two years
: May 9, 2018, 5:33:21 AM
: May 29, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
: SE_NEP WR Office, Nepal
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that the deadline for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The objective of the WHO Nepal Country Office is to implement the Country Cooperation Strategy by supporting the Nepal Government in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of national health policies, strategies and plans and developing and managing WHOs' technical cooperation programs at the country level. WHO provides guidance and technical support in organizing the humanitarian health response and in revitalizing the capacity of the health sector to rebuild and recover from emergencies in appropriate and sustainable way. The Country Office collaborates with the Government of Nepal and relevant stakeholders in support of their efforts of achieving national health goals; ensuring the attainment of universal health coverage and contributing to global and regional public health action by providing need-based technical assistance in national level by policy formulation, setting norms and standards, improving knowledge dissemination and management, monitoring country health situation and building sustainable institutional capacity, and play a greater leadership role in different national level policy and technical forums. It is to further institutionalising Systems of Health Accounts (SHA), coordinate, conduct the surveys, produce Nepal SHA reports, advice and technical support on database collection and other studies undertaken, advices and technical support to Director HEFU (Health Economics and Financing Unit).
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direct supervision of Public Health Administrator and overall guidance of WHO Representative Nepal the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
1. Technical support to the MoH for the various health financing related activities both at ministry and the provincial government levels. Advice and advocacy on the overall health financing system;
2. Facilitate and Support in the capacity development of Government counterparts and officials in health financing and related areas of work, intervention, and policy;
3. Coordinate and provide technical support in develop health financing strategy in collaboration with government counterparts, External Development Partners and stakeholders to ensure efficient and effective distribution and utilization of health resources and formulate federal health financing transition plan/strategy to provincial and local level;
4. Provide technical assistance in health services costing studies for better-informed cost related information required for the policy for designing the health benefit packages, social health security development and financing the health care services;
5. Provide advice and technical support in regularizing and institutionalization of the health resource tracking and the production of National Health Accounts to derive the essential information for the health financing strategy and plans and for the policy level decisions. In coordination with national team, develop national guidelines and protocols for the National Health Accounts Production and utilization;
6. Provide technical support and conduct measurement exercise for the financial protection arm of the UHC and regularize the system for Sustainable Development Goals monitoring;
7. Technical support in the developing the national strategy/plan to assess and better understand the features of payment methods that drive provider responses and overall pay for performance and results based financing alternative way of purchasing for the feasible entry point to the health financing strategy implementation;
8. In coordination with the implementing partners and stakeholders, provide support to the various approaches and technical aspects of the Social Health Security Development Committee (Health Insurance) basically in the benefit packages, providers' payment and quality of services;
9. Support to MoH in development of consistent legal framework and a strategic and operational plan that strengthens the strategic purchasing function;
10. Facilitate and advice to conduct study/research related to coherent information management systems for innovative approaches to alternative health financing strategies, and use the results to develop the evidence based policy and implementation plan;
11. Plan, lead and oversee the various health financing related data collection, analysis, interpretation both at federal and provincial level to draw policy message, presentations, press releases and dissemination among the government counterparts and stakeholders;
12. Any other responsibilities assigned by the supervisors.
Essential: University Degree in economics or health policy including related training in health economics and health financing from a recognized university.
Desirable: Advance University Degree in economics or health policy. Public health background would be an asset. Training in health surveys, data entry, analysis and reporting.
Essential: At least two years of experience in the design and implementation of health financing systems. Experience should include conducting economic analysis on social policies, income distribution, poverty and/or health and development issues.
Desirable: Experience in the design and implementation of health financing systems in the context of a federal context will be an asset.
1. Training in surveying and surveys instrument, research methods or equivalent fields
2. Ability to design and maintain financial records, medical records and personal records statistical tools.
3. Ability to help in running macro and micro surveys.
4. Demonstrate skills in the preparation of reports and plans.
5. Self-motivated with ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
6. Knowledge and understanding of current national health account and financing datasets.
7. Good interpersonal skills, able to work as a team member in a multi-cultural environment.
8. Ability to participate actively and cooperatively in knowledge sharing and policy forums at various levels and also to coordinate the GoN agencies, international / bilateral agencies, NGOs / INGOs etc.
9. Very good analytical skills including ability to collect and analyze technical data and information and to draw and present conclusions in written and spoken form.
10. Very good writing skills in English, including ability to write clear and concise progress reports, analytical reports, plans and proposals.
11. Technical Expertise; Overall attitude at work are also required mandatory competencies.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Knowing and managing yourself
Use of Language Skills
Essential: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Nepali.
The above language requirements are interchangeable.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at NPR 2,650,911 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.